Montag, 20. Januar 2014

Auf der anderen Seite - part 1

Für diesem AMD habe ich der Film “Auf der anderen Seite” gesehen. Die Sprache in der Film ist Deutsch, Türkisch, und Englisch.

If I try to type this ganz AMD in German I’m afraid I’ll only get out a few sentences in the recommended Zeit. Therefore, I’ll only use Deutsch wörter that sofort come to mind, thereby utilizing the wonderful language called Denglisch.

The video title translates literally to “On the other Side" but would be known to us by its international title “The edge of heaven.”

Ali is an aged Turkish man in Deutschland. In the first scene, his son, Nejat, walks into a gas station(in Turkey I assume). The spoken language is Turkish so I first watched with English subtitles then again with Deutsch subtitles. I paused briefly with German subtitles to reaffirm the meaning of each phrase. Nejat speaks with the store keeper über the singer of the musik that is playing, Kazim Koyunca. “Ich(Alisan) kenne ihn nicht.” He then continues on his drive to Germany.

In the next scene, Ali(the Turkish father) walks a red light district in Germany and meets a prostitute who calls herself Jesse. He pays for her service and soon realizes she’s Turkish like him. Her real name is Yeter. Natürlich, they begin speaking in Turkish.

When Nejat speaks to his father Ali, they seem to speak mostly Turkish with a few German words and phrases. They talk about an upcoming horse race over dinner.

Ali offers Yeter to live with him(payment included). She accepts after she is threatened by Turkish Muslims for deviating from the path of Islam. Nejat's father soon has a heart attack and he is left to live with what the English subtitles translate as a “woman of easy virtue” and the German subtitles call a “Freudenmädchen” or delights-woman. Nejat and Yeter become good friends when Nejat learns that Yeter sends her money to her daughter in Turkey, who she hasn’t been able to contact.

When he gets out of the hospital, Ali drinks heavily. In his drunkenness, he accuses his Sohn of sleeping with Yeter. He strikes Yeter and she dies. Ali is sent to prison and Nejat goes to Turkey to look for Yeter’s Tochter.


This was about a third of the movie. I’ll try to finish in another two AMD’s. As you can imagine, watching and replaying most scenes is time consuming but I find it very good for learning.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.