Montag, 3. Februar 2014

For one of my AMDs last semester, I watched and wrote down interesting translated quotes from Fritz Lang's silent science fiction movie "Metropolis." It was a great way to learn German while watching a movie, since there is no dialogue, only text cards. Much easier to follow than a sound movie. I thought I'd do the same thing while watching the classic German silent horror film from 1922: Nosferatu. It was directed by FW Murnau, and stars Max Schreck. I watched an online video of the movie where someone edited in German text cards instead of English ones (as on most American DVDs), and then translated some of the most interesting ones. I'm not sure how correct the German translations were, but I think I got the gist from translating them into English.

Nosferatu! Dieser Name allein kann das Blut zu kühlen!=Nosferatu! That name alone can chill the blood!

Sie haben eine wunderbare Reise.=You will have a marvelous journey. 


Und jung wie Sie sind, egal, ob was es kostet Sie einige Schmerzen - oder sogar ein wenig Blut?=And, young as you are, what matter if it costs you some pain--or even a little blood?
 
Sie sind spät, junger Mann. Es ist fast Mitternacht.=You are late, young man. It is almost midnight. 
 
Blut! Ihre kostbaren Blut!= Blood! Your precious blood!
 
Nina, meine geliebten-Sie nicht unglücklich sein. Obwohl ich weit weg, ich liebe dich. Das ist ein seltsames Land.=Nina, my beloved- Don't be unhappy. Though I am far away, I love you. This is a strange country. 
 
Das Werk ist der Vampir des Pflanzenreiches.=That plant is the vampire of the vegetable kingdom.
 
Wir könnten eine einzelne Menschenseele an Bord nicht finden!=We couldn't find a single living soul on board! 
 
Meister! Meister! Passen Sie auf!=Master! Master! Beware!
 
Harker nimmt Nina in den Armen, als sie stirbt=
Harker takes Nina in his arms as she dies.
 

2 hours.
-GrTe

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.