Montag, 10. Februar 2014

Kultur 8

Being from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the article on Saunas really hit home with me. Most of the articles that I've read depicting German culture have made me raise my eyebrows at their strange customs. However, all of the talk of saunas seemed like common practice to me. As a matter of fact, we have our own personal saunas installed at both my mom's house as well as my dad's. I'd also like to clear the air and make it clear that one of my biggest pet-peeves is the pronunciation of the word "SAUNA". Most people down here tend to pronounce it "SAW-NA", but the correct Finnish way to pronounce it is more along the lines of "SAUW-NA". I don't know why, but it bugs the hell out of me and many other Yoopers. Also, the unisex aspect, which many may find strange, also occurs quite often up north.

On another note, I can't decide whether or not to take the other articles relating to sickness serious or not. I find it hard to believe that they've found scientific evidence to back this information up. Do they not go outside unless the wind is completely calm? Air is air, isn't it? Whether it's moving or not. I guess you'll never catch me in a car with a group of Germans on a road trip. Being accustomed to the climate back north, I tend to sweat like no other when it gets humid and around 75-80. Whenever I travel, air conditioning and cool wind are a must. And the funny thing is I'm still alive to tell the tale. They can tell me to "Es zieht." all they want, but I'll take my chances.

-ZaBo

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.