As a big fan of cult holiday TV and movie viewings, I found the article on Dinner for One utterly fascinating. That a broadcast like that could have become so popular in just one European country, and yet be completely unheard of in the rest of the world, is a pop cultural phenomenon. I would be similarly horrified, as the Germans would be about Dinner for One, if someone had no idea what "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or "It's A Wonderful Life" were, let alone that they are an enduring Christmas eve tradition in the U.S. More interesting still is that it is an English language short film.
The common law curfew described in "Sorry, We're Closed," fits with what we know about Germany from the previous article on keeping quiet at night. For a passionate lifelong night owl like myself, these kinds of laws are downright draconian. I get peace and quiet, but I get upset if a smoothie place I'm looking for is closed at 10pm on a sunday. I dont know if I'd survive in Germany.
It's really surprising that fathers day is the German equivalent of St. Patricks day in America. And the idea that these are just middle aged dads running rampant in a German city, not just college co eds and young hooligans, is mildly terrifying. Still, and I'm finding this is more and more true the more we learn about Germany and other European countries, minor holidays have much more cultural identity in germany than they do in America.
-GrTe
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.