For this adventure
with German have I Ghost seen. Jedermann hat das Filme Gesehen aber hast du ihn
mit Deutscher Untertitel gesehen? Das habe ich mir gedacht!
The following is my analysis
and critique of the German subtitles of a certain early scene where Patrick
Swayze(Sam) and Demi Moore(Molly) argue over a chair.
Molly
Audio:
What’s this chair doing here?
Subtitle: Was macht der Stuhl hier?
W-for-W Transliteration:
What does the chair here?
Sam
Audio:
What do you mean? I love that
chair.
Sub: Das
ist mein Lieblingsstuhl.
TransL: That is my favorite-chair.
Molly
Audio:
I thought we discussed this.
Sub: Ich
dachte, wir hätten das geklärt.
TransL: I thought, we *had* that (cleared up).
This subtitle sentence
is a great one to expand on. The first clause uses regular Präteritum, aka
simple past. The second clause is not only uses Plusquamperfekt, but also the Konjunctive
II mood shown by “hätten” as opposed to regular Plusquamperfekt’s “hatten.” This
inserts some doubt into her assumption.
The only possible
fault I see here is that the second clause should begin with “dass.” I think Herr
Rastalsky said this (whatever it is, subordinating conjunction?) is not
necessary in English but is always required in German.
Sam:
Audio:
I’ve had it forever. When I watch
TV, I sit in it.
Sub: Ich
habe ihn schon ewig. In ihm sehe ich fern.
TransL:
I
have him already (eternized?). In him watch I TV.
Another
suggestion: Wenn ich sehe fern, sitze ich
But
don’t forget that ‘fern’ is literally ‘far’!
Molly
Audio:
This chair is ugly. And it doesn’t
go with anything.
Sub: Der
Stuhl ist hässlich. Und er passt zu nichts.
TransL: The chair is ugly. And he fits to nothing.
Would
it sound stilted to say “Dieser Stuhl…”?
Sam
Audio: It
goes with me.
Sub: Er
passt zu mir.
TransL:
He fits to me.
Molly
Audio:
You’re right. It does.
Sub: Stimmt, das tut er.
TransL:
Correct, that does he.
It
is possible the reason for omitting subtitles for audio of “What do you mean?”
is that “Was meinst du?” is not something commonly said in everyday speech. Or
perhaps the Subtitler just missed a phrase.
Machen:
1 Stunde
Schreiben:
30 Minuten
JeSt
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.