Ich habe "Love Thy Neighbor: German Law Tells You How" gelesen. Ich mochte der Artikel, ist sehr lustig. I thought it was strange that Germans had an unspoken code for what neighbors do and do not do. In the US our neighborhoods have rules and boards that keep the neighborhoods looking good but nothing like having to plow your snow or pick the weeds out of the sidewalk. However, I really like that Germans have these rules, it keeps the neighborhoods looking clean and neat but also most of it is common courtesy that people should be doing these things anyways. I believe that if it snows that someone more capable should help plow an elderly's walkway, that is very nice and helpful to the elders in the home. But what I also found strange is that Germans can't barbecue in the summer when they want to. They can only once a month or ask their neighbor and try to keep the smoke to a minimum. It is far more uptight in Germany with social etiquette then in America.
Another article I read was about German's fear of Patriotism, and how the Germans do not like to fly their country's flag. This is the polar opposite of America, if you were to drive down a small town main road almost every shop flies an American flag, and every house as well. The American flag is very sentimental to a lot of people and many feel the need to fly the flag as a sign of support and patriotism for America. It is an interesting concept that Germans do not like to fly their flag, the author suggests it has something to do with WWII and Hitler and the country's shame. I think its because the Germans know they are patriotic and they feel no need to flash it and fly a flag, if they know then they are content and feel no need to make sure everyone else knows. The author also mentioned that the reason the Germans like the world cup so much is because they get to wave their flag around constantly and cheer on their "homeboys."
EmGu
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.